To sing, there are no exact locations -- the relationship between the notes is what matters.
It helps to give each note its own shape.
|Seven notes, seven shapes (Aikens system)|
|Four names, four shapes (Sacred Harp system)|
Key of C
Key of G
Key of D
2. There is only one mi (7th degree of scale). The mi is right below the tonic fa (mi = the leading tone because it leads to the fa).
3. In major mode, the last note in the tenor line is either the "home base" fa or (exceptionally) a sol.
Key of F: fa at top and bottom
Key of A: fa in the middle
Joy To The Scale
The first two notes of "Happy Birthday".
The first three notes of "Comin' Thro' The Rye".
2. Minor second (m2) "Danny Boy" ("Londonderry Air")
3. Major second (M2) "The Bear Went Over The Mountain"
4. minor third (m3) "Brahm's Lullaby"
5. Major third (M3) "Marine's Hymn"
"Michael Row The Boat Ashore"
6. Perfect fourth (P4) "Here Comes The Bride"
7. Perfect fifth (P5) "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"
8. Major Sixth (M6) "My Bonnie"
9. Octave (P8) "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
10. Minor third drop (m3) (P4) "O Say Can You See?"
11. Major third drop (M3) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"
12. Octave to major third "Where Do I Begin?" (Love Story)
13. Octave to perfect fourth (P4) (important for basses)
Culver City Weekly Shape Note singing on Thursday evenings 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Join the announcement list (one message per week)
Santa Monica Santa Monica Learner's Group Introduction to Shape Note singing on the Saturday before the second Sunday
4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Contact: David Olson (310) 410-9033 for more details.
Back to main page.
Link to other shape note singings in West Los Angeles area
More information on Shape Note Singing in general
Local Shape Note singings around the country
Singing location: 4427 Overland Avenue, Culver City, California
Close to "The Spot Cafe & Lounge"